Equipment swipe card interlock install

Good to know, I will isolate it from the interlock circuit.

Who was looking after the kiln? would be good to know what planning has been made for it so far.

AFAIK, not many/none of the tools have interlock circuits/estops on them at present, so itā€™s still going to be at mains potential.

For the kiln, Iā€™d presume itā€™s the Creatoriumā€™s/ @Booā€™s responsibility, however there isnā€™t much in the way of planning. Itā€™s probably easiest to just hardwire it into the switchboard in the Creatorium, should be able to fit a contactor in its own control box. What kind of information are you after?

Iā€™m kinda sort of the bear thats protective of the kiln, in as much as Iā€™ve been the one to stand up and say no when people have proposed doing stupid shit with it. Iā€™m also the only one thats done any research on the care of these things. (as far as Iā€™m aware) Soooo yeah.

Basically we just need another three phase plug in the createatorium, I believe theres already 3 phase in the building. Once thats done, someone needs to run the thing at like 500c for a while, then 1000c for a while, then crank it full bore for a while. All while sitting next to it and monitoring the casing for hot spots. This is a) to verify it works, and b) to drive out accumulated moisture from sitting around disused. If that goes well then its open for business once interlocked. If it doesnt go well we may need to do some cementing or something.

In the above paragraph, the burn in process will probably take 12-24 hours, and have the associated cost profile etc.

@Thermoelectric what do you mean most of the tools donā€™t have estops? thatsā€¦ worrying? The lathe, mill and laser all have them afaik? The kiln doesnt but I think we could wire one in that essentially kills the power like the control panel would.

Are you sure we need a plug and socket on the kiln? Itā€™s not like weā€™ll be moving it anytime soon to require it. There is already 3 phase in the building, with enough capacity and conveniently right behind the switchboard.

Ah yes, those estops. The estop on the lathe just isolates the mains, the laser cutter is the only one with a low voltage side I think. Pretty sure there isnā€™t any manner of estop on the mill, just start/stop buttons. Easiest way to estop is to put it inline with the Netrol, if itā€™s open, the contactor canā€™t be operated.

Sure, I mean, We all like plugs. it just depends how exxy a socket is vs direct wiring.

Ok, well maybe a part of this project should be to make sure we have good estops on all these things.

One of the original potential usage cases of the snarc/netrols was to enable a ā€˜networked estopā€™, ie estop buttons you could hit anywhere and they would stop all machinery, so if youā€™re at the mill and spot someone on the lathe doing something incredibly dumb (like about to start it with the chuck key in) you can hit the network estop. Whether that would be the estop on the machine or a separate button, dunno.

Not saying its the best idea or we should do it, just throwing out some history for people to chew on.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Pin-20Amp-3-Phase-Combination-Switched-Socket-Outlet-With-5-YEAR-WARRANTY-/111649358121

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Weatherproof-Three-3-Phase-5-Pin-32A-RCD-Protected-Switched-Socket-Outlet-/121116782376