Discourse @ HSBNE now supports mailing list mode

Pictures tell a thousand words,

I enabled these in the Admin (along with all the supporting config):

So that you can enable these in your user preferences:

And discourse will then send you emails for everything on here, exactly as the google group did. Hooray!

A quick few points before I leave you to it:

• Theres a 10min delay between a post on the web interface and the email being sent out, in order to allow time for edits and the like. This is configurable and I assume we will tweak it as we get user feedback.
  • Replies do not show up instantly, its a pop3s polling system so theres a slight delay between polls.
  • It seems to work best when you either use it just via email, or just via the web.
  • There is, at the time of writing, no way to create new threads via email. I will let everyone know as soon as this feature becomes available
  • I will be moderating people who leave email signatures in their replies, as this is freaking annoying on a forum
  • I have not played with it much, but I dont think you get inline replying, or what a forum would call quoting, at this time. If you want to utilise the nice quoting features of discourse, use the web interface.

Happy emailing everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like

YAY! this is awesome work josh!

hands you made something cool badge

Is this on or off by default?

Off by default. You’ll need to check the boxes “Receive an email every time a post is made on the forum (unless you have muted the topic or category)” and “Recieve email notifications and email digests even if I am active on the forum” to get all of the email features.

It is off by default.

This reply was done via email.

edit via interface: as an example of the slight polling lag, my reply was a minute or so before nogs. Or, actually, come to think of it, i probably percieved it as that due to the lag of emails being sent to me, so nog probably did beat me to it by a fair bit.

I moved 15 posts to a new topic: Testing the new Mailing List Feature

I moved a post to an existing topic: Testing the new Mailing List Feature

Discourse now supports new topics via mail in. I’ve enabled this on a per category basis, starting with the general category.

If you would like to start new topics in General via email, direct your ramblings to discourse+general@hsbne.org