Drinks Machines

(Mike Ando) #103

Due to being in hospital I was away from the space for a bit, but I’m once again back. The Vigo machine was temporarily not accepting coins or vending cans, but it looks like it’s been been all fixed now with the highly precise and technically complicated procedure known as turning-it-off-and-on-again.

A&W Creaming Soda has proved way more popular than I anticipated. Seems you all loved it! We’re almost out of this option, then another brand-new-never-vended-before option will be added to the international drinks machine. Because I can’t resist keeping things fresh & new.

Speaking of never-vended-before, I’ve decided that I’m gonna start making the random line a bit more random. For at least the next two months, the rate of “rare” cans is gonna go up as I start adding at least one rare can per week. I won’t bother posting on here about the ones we’ve had before, only for the brand new ones, just to document it on here publicly so people other than the lucky winners know the lengths I’m going to to get us a continuous supply of new random drinks. However, in return for this the rate of “cheaper” cans is going up. However, in return for this, the rate of standard “import” cans are going to go up too, while “local” cans will go down in odds. Basically there’ll be roughly equal chances of getting a “cheaper” can as either an “import” or “rare” can, to help balance out the prices. Basically this means less local cans will come out of this line and more import/rare cans. So the random line is getting more valuable with higher variability!

This week’s rare random drop is Sangaria Cider - but not what you think. The word “cider” means a completely different kind of drink in Japan. It’s kinda like lemonade, only not really. Similar to Ramune, if you’ve ever had that before.

(If the random line were a loot box, the highest potential reward value’s gone up, and the odds of all non-local options are now more equal than before)

(Stuart Longland) #104

:slight_smile: That technique solves a lot of problems.

That said, good to hear you’re back from hospital and hopefully recovering well.

(king.michaelr) #105

Just as an FYI, the Mountain Dew line on the local machine is currently vending raspberry lemonade.

(Mike Ando) #106

I’ve now finished cleaning/lubricating/servicing all the electronics in both machines. The wiring to line 6 was pretty melted from a previous fire, in some spots right the way through the insulation, and it was only pure luck that it hadn’t shorted out so far. I’ve replaced some wires where easy, and the remainder has been wrapped in electrical tape. I’ve got a short list of other things that need to be replaced, such as micro-switches & neon indicator lights etc. I’ll get around to ordering them & installing them soon.

(The final line has been finalised)

I’ve bought another 316 cans to restock our supply in the store room. We were starting to run low on Coke - which is outrageous and something that shall never happen so long as I’m still helping out with these machines. All the Coke, All the time!

A&W Creaming Soda is now gone from the import machine, which means it’s time for yet another brand new, never-before-vended flavour. Dr Pepper is always popular, and so is Cherry Coke. And so I present to you… Cherry Dr Pepper! Yes for real, this is an actual thing!

(Dr Pepper and Cherry, together at last)

This week’s random can is T.A.S. Mango Juice Drink! Don’t ask me what it tastes like - I don’t try these first, I just acquire 'em for y’all. This one comes from Thailand, and given it says “shake well before serving” on the back I’m gonna assume that means it’s not carbonated.

(Perfect if you’re from Tasmania and you enjoy doing Tool-Assisted Speedruns of your favourite games)

May the random odds be ever in your flavour!

(Stuart Longland) #107

That could also be a Thai practical joke. :slight_smile:

(Mike Ando) #108

Pepsi Max is out, and it’s been replaced with Vanilla Pepsi Max. Don’t like it? That’s ok, it won’t last long, I rotate through different options pretty quickly :wink:

The current full line-up is as follows:

Local drinks:

• Coca-Cola
  • Creaming Soda
  • Raspberry
  • Random
  • Vanilla Pepsi Max
  • Ginger Beer
  • Water 600ml

Vigo’s Imported Emporium:

• Cherry Dr Pepper
  • Cherry Coke
  • Dr Pepper
  • A&W Root Beer
  • Grape Fanta
  • Strawberry Fanta

The random can of the week is Vimto from the UK. Made from Grapes, Raspberries, Blackcurrants, plus a whole bunch of other secret ingredient spices, I guess the best way to describe this one is “fruity”.

(The “Vim vs Emacs” argument is crossing new boundaries these days)

May the random odds be ever in your flavour!

(Mike Ando) #109

I skip restocking the drink machines for one week, just one single week, and this is what happens…

(182 cans loaded into the machines from just two weeks since it was last stocked. SO many cans)

The ever popular Pasito’s making another comeback. I think I forgot to change the label on the button though, and I can’t remember which line it’s replacing, but it’s either Creaming Soda or Raspberry. So I guess treat it as a second semi-random line until I’m next in to change a label? :stuck_out_tongue:

This week’s random can is T.A.S. branded Aloe Vera with Lemon Juice. If you’ve never had Aloe Vera flavoured drinks before you probably think this will taste bad. But if you have had them before, you probably know it’s pretty delicious!

(Contains 18% Aloe Vera juice plus 12% Aloe Vera pulp, hot dang!)

So how about it, are you feeling drink-lucky, punk?

(Stuart Longland) #110

Will the vending machine have enough space for an Emacsto?

You know what they used to say… Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Mike Ando) #111

I’ve been too busy with Supanova to update this lately, but I haven’t been too busy to keep doing at least a little work on these machines.

To start with, as the container recycling refund scheme is finally in place in QLD, our can crusher has been removed and a new recycling bin has been added. For now it’s easier if the cans are intact so we can use the self-service refund thingos. From now on until further notice, please don’t crush your cans - the main reason why we’re not raising the prices of the vending machines is because we’re expecting to be able to get that money all back :wink: Also, I am not the person who is managing the container refunding business (my volunteer time is already stretched too thin as it is), so don’t ask me anything about it.

Good News, Everyone™! The bad micro-switch in the local cold drinks machine has been replaced, which means this machine now has all eight lines working again! In celebration of this, back by popular demand is Kirks Diet Lemon - which means we now have two diet flavours on offer again (the other being Vanilla Pepsi Max) as well as bottled water. Healthy food, taste so good. Thanks to @lhovo for the donor vending machine and @nogthree for ripping its guts out for spare parts.

(The new micro-switch, on the top, is Cherry branded. That should be good for a few million vends.)

There’s been two random can additions since the last time I posted - T.A.S. Lychee Drink and T.A.S. Guava Juice Drinks.

(This icy lychee’s not so pricey)

(Winner beware, this is another puree drink!)

The current full line-up is as follows:

Local drinks:

• Coca-Cola
  • Vanilla Pepsi Max
  • Pasito
  • Fanta
  • Random
  • Diet Lemon
  • Ginger Beer
  • Water 600ml

Vigo’s Imported Emporium:

• Cherry Dr Pepper
  • Cherry Coke
  • Dr Pepper
  • A&W Root Beer
  • Grape Fanta
  • Strawberry Fanta

Finally, sad news: between Tuesday the 6th of November at 11:34pm and Tuesday the 13th of November at 6:15pm, $1 was stolen from the change exchange. :frowning:

(Brendan Halliday) #112

I’m reasonably sure this was me, sorry. Had a 1 dollar the machine ate and didn’t like the 2 dollar coin I put in so I grabbed one from the change exchange. Will return it to the exchange when I’m there next on Tuesday.