Electronics Cause Meeting 20 Jun 2017 8:30pm

Hey guys, it’s been a while since we’ve had a meeting so let’s catch up.

Agenda:

• Bench rearranging - I’d like to try and nail down a date for a working bee so we can set up the new shelving and maybe even lighting. I’ll probably use a doodle poll for this.
  • Portable HD Microscopes - I purchased 2x digital microsocopes like this to evaluate them - https://www.banggood.com/Mustool-G600-Digital-Portable-1-600X-3_6MP-Microscope-Continuous-Magnifier-with-4_3inch-HD-OLED-Display-p-1119592.html?rmmds=search I’ll bring them along to the meeting so everyone can see what they’re like and determine if we’d like to purchase them. If we do, they’re $106.96 total for 2.
  • Electronics Bench accountability - I’d like to present my plan for bench timer interlocks as soldering irons etc keep being left on unattended which damages the tips over time. Most other areas can easily determine who is using their area, I’d like it to be just as easy for us. I’d like to use this discussion as a general accountability plan.
  • Workshops - I’d like to talk quickly about workshop plans we have and brainstorm some dates etc for the next six months or so in advance.
  • Cause Operating Document - I’ll have a draft up tonight of a basic cause operating document with our expectations of use for the area and any rolling consumables budgets.

If you can’t make it to this meeting, please reply to this thread with the followin blurb:

HSBNE Inc:

I, ( Member Name ), being a member of the association, appoint (insert name) as my proxy to vote for me on my behalf at the Electronics Cause Meeting of the association, to be held on the day of 20 Jun 2017 and at any adjournment of the meeting.

Signed this day of (date) .

(Member Name)

1 Like

Let’s put the soldering iron on a relay from a pi or arduino . I say pi because that is what I’m used to… It would be a neat project to do. Then we can put the folding iron on a timer etc.

My current plan is to use a Sonoff TH12 board as used on the tablesaw interlock with an RFID rader and an addressable LED ring on the front.

The LED ring would indicate how long out of 30 minutes you have left and swiping would top up the timer.

I have all the hardware and code required to do this already but I’m looking to make a laser cut front plate for the case that incorporates circular segment display that is laser cut and uses the much cheaper lengths of addressable LED strip.

A basic cause operating policy is up at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1alIKJS_-xuQs-OD3Yo040qow8JudXMxetUnZJNLc-UY/edit?usp=sharing now.

Currently it defines the Spot Welder and the Reflow oven as requiring induction to use, Blair and I are listed as maintainers for the Reflow oven.

It defines our $100 monthly consumables budget, and I will pull together a proper consumables list and suppliers to go with that.

Also our expectations of use for the area are defined as:

• Please leave the area as clean or cleaner than you found it.
  • Please make sure to put money in the donation tin for consumables.
  • Please don’t leave things running on the power supplies unattended.
  • Please don’t leave irons or other tools on when you’re not immediately using them.
  • Please return tools to their homes.

I’d like us to vote on accepting this as our operating document, we can update it at any time with a cause meeting.

Meeting Minutes:

Meeting opened at 8:42PM

Attending

• James Churchill
  • Brendan Halliday
  • Kelsey Williams
  • Lucas Oldfield
  • Tim Reiclhe
  • David Buzz
  • Jaimyn Mayer
  • Ian Haly
  • Jeff Turner
  • Luke Hovington (Proxy)
  • Blair Calderara

Bench rearranging - All attending were good with the plan, a date poll will be going up regarding this.
Portable HD Microscopes - $106.96 total - All in favour, none abstaining.
Electronics Bench Accountability - Swipe timers for the new bays are acceptable, James requested that you could top it up with the button instead of the card.
Workshops - Home Automation workshop is upcoming, VHDL and a few other ideas were mooted.
Cause Operating Document - All in favour of accepting the draft document., none abstaining.

Meeting closed at 9:15 PM.

Ian Haly that is… Can I register for the electronics cause on the Web site currently

Yep, fixed it the other day - http://porthack.hsbne.org/members/setcauses.php

Thanks alot

Causes link send to be broken…

Also… I need to cut some board on laser cutter… Have created files in inkscape… But have not done the induction… How can I get inducted… Or are you at hacker Space at some time other than Tuesday?

Link is fixed, you’ll need to read http://wiki.hsbne.org/tools/lasercutter and find one of the listed supervisors to run you through it and make sure the machine is in a working state.