The automotive team idea seems to be lacking traction ( Reviving the automotive team ) but it would be sad to lose the capabilities and space.
During the meeting agenda discussion of the 11th of January 2022 ( 11/01 meeting agenda ) there is a mention of retiring causes and their allocated spaces.
Thats why I would like to propose a mechanical team/Mechanical workshop. A space where you can work on/assemble/degrease/grease/oil pushbikes, electrical vehicles, normal vehicles (bikes, cars, vans…) and any other parts (gearboxes, chains…).
There is an allocated space ( New container layout ) for the automotive team that can be transformed into a mechanical workshop (together with an undercover outdoor space).
The other area’s are not suited to this because:
- The metalshop is too dirty (swarf from machining)
- The greenroom is too clean to have these projects.
So some examples to visualise the use:
A DIY EV pushbike conversion could work like this:
- Make brackets in the Metalshop
- Design the electronics at the electronics bench
- Modification/Final assembly in the Mechanical workshop area
A #Vanlife conversion could work like this:
- Design and cut the wooden interior in the Woodshop
- Design the electronics/12v at the electronics bench
- Use the Craftpunk area for some final touches
- Final assembly in the Mechanical workshop area
So where do we start?
- If you are interested in helping to start up and maintain this team, let me know!
- If you are a starving hacker and looking for a couple of hours of volunteering/month, let me know and we can work something out!
As soon as we have some members that are interested we can discuss the layout of the container (workbenches and storage).
Any other feedback, thoughts or ideas are more than welcome!