HSBNE Entrance Way Improvements

If you’re around saturday or sunday I can come over to the space, otherwise I’m happy to skype you another time.

Maybe if the kitchenette wasn’t moved from that area we could make something like this?

Could put the dishes and whatnot underneath the sink, and the kettle/toaster/whatever in the other little cupboard?

The intent in highlighting the ugliness of the couches is by no means to offend, as said they’re perfectly good couches, comfy and what not, they’re just ugly. They have served their purpose very well thus far, they could be used elsewhere in the space, it’s just time for them to not be where they are any more. This is speaking specifically about the brown ones, the other corner thing isn’t bad it’s just ripped and will probably still be useful.

Their will always be dirty dishes I have not been to the space without
seeing dirty dishes left out. I think we should donate all our dishes to
the individual members that want to use them and they can keep them in
their crates in the members storage. Then just chuck the rest of the plates
and dirty crap out. The only things we should keep are coffee cups, spoons
and glasses. Giving engraved plates in a welcome kit is a WTF silly idea
for me.

Knocking down the bench would be awesome and the reason why I didn’t do it
when we knocked all the other stuff down is it would have looked worse than
it does now for a long time. It also contains the mess to sum degree into
that area.

I think the vending machine should be moved next to the drinks machine and
a bench with a microwave put in its place. Painting the entryway and
kitchen would go a long way to making the place look better.

If we all agree on painting then that’s where we should start.

I’m wondering why epoxy paint is not worth it. It looks good, it’s durable, it stays reasonably vibrant even when covered in filth. I’m assuming cost is the downside, would that be correct?

NO CAPES! ahem. I’m pretty against cupboards. Literally tabletop with a sink in it would be fine in my opinion. If it were entirely up to me I’d just get some square steel stock and a piece of metal sheet and weld a basic metal indestructo-table.

All good, I just think its worth pointing out that most things we have because of someones kindness and the language we use is important :smile:

You can see what I quoted up in that other thread, but I’m curious as to why in one breath you espouse the idea (lets throw away all the permanent stuff) and in the next criticise it? I mean, you said give dishes to individual members to keep in their storage, the single difference in between your suggestion and mine is that mine has accountability. So, I guess I’m asking you to please explain.

Painting should be done last. Isn’t that obvious? Thats like saying “I’m going to clean the house starting with the floor” :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, the green room was a couple of hundred dollars worth (donated). The prep to put it down was a huge, huge, huge many person job. Ripping up the carpet, getting all the glue off the floor with scrapers, jackhammering out concrete and angle grinding down rebar, patching up holes, grinding down raises. We had a guy with a huge big professional concrete grinder come in and do it for free to test his machine. Then many many days of painting. We honestly couldn’t have done it without the help of many many members and he-who-shant-be-named. And at the end of it all, the green room floor is pretty filthy, difficult to clean and the high traffic areas have had the sand taken out of them in wear and tear so they’re slick, and where the sand remains means we cant get proper floor cleaning machines over it. It’s not put down anywhere near thick enough, and people routinely drag metal over it and rip it up. Hell even crushing aluminium cans on it is damaging it quite visibly. It’s just a huge effort and not enough bang at the end.

Whats the exact plan with this engraving plates business?

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gumdale/building-materials/50x-50-carpet-tiles/1049195486

They’re $2.50/m^2 and not that ugly.

The point is that as part of joining the hackerspace we issue you with some eating gear, which has your name engraved on it. It costs us a minimal amount, and it means if you use it and leave it lying around dirty, we can tell who did it and jump on their heads repeatedly. Normal plates/cutlery or whatever and disposable containers will just get binned.

Sure. Carpet thats in good nick (not our stuff thats knackered) would be fine. Or any sort of cheap laminate flooring. If it can survive people dragging shit all over it, its probably the go. Hell, if we could get it cheap enough I’d be fine with astroturf haha.

@devians
I like cupboards, they store stuff WITHOUT having crap all over the benches or having big black plastic bins full of stuff
sitting there that use all the bench space like we currently have. They also keep dust and partials from people 3d printing, soldering and cutting stuff up out of your items (especially needed for food prep stuff) and they are fairly space efficient as a means of storage.

All in all we need smarter storage, thus less randomly dumped stuff, not to remove current storage and have nowhere to put things but to randomly dump stuff. Examples of stuff inn this setting include the wok, mugs or the like for guests to use if they want a tea or coffee (may actually happen if the kitchen doesn’t look like you need your shots up to date to set foot in it), before mentioned tea and coffee tins and the countless other items normal people store in cupboards around there kitchen.

@rut4ger
A more compact kitchen unit sounds like a much better idea than a sink in a tabletop with legs. Only tweak I would suggest is that the kettle needs to have a permanent home on the bench-top where it can be used. I’d actually stick its base down with a couple of strips of double sided tape to stop it being moved accidentally (or pushed into a corner by osmosis from all the crap building up, as the current 2 kettles have been at HSBNE). Other than that we just need a sign that tell people where dirty (or even washed, but still wet) dishes will be put if they leave them on the prep area, otherwise we’ll end up with the same situation we have with the current draining rack to the left of the sink and with no bench space. Anyway I think this sounds like a very good idea since we can recover almost all the parts we need from the current kitchenette and the small kitchenette that’s next to the lazer cutter and doesn’t seem to have any purpose.

I’m not saying just have benchtops. I’m just saying have open shelving if you need to have something like that. As soon as you put a door on it, it becomes a cupboard and a shit collector.

You’re right, they do collect shit, but they also hide it well. Personally I’m not going to use it more than twice a year so I couldn’t give a shit how messy it gets, so long as its neat and contained.

@devians I guess I just sick of the mess to the point where I feel any effort put into maintaining a kitchen is pointless as it will become a mess within a week. I don’t think throwing out things people can use is a good thing to do so giving them to the members that want them is IMO a good course of action. I don’t think we should give plates and stuff in the welcome kit because that is not what HSBNE is about, we would be better of spending that money on a HSBNE laser cut keyring.

Painting is something we all agree on so its a good place to start. With cleaning you can start wherever you like you just need to finish with the floor. :smiley: If someone started cleaning the floor at HSBNE and the benches had crap all over them I would not scold them for not cleaning the benches. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree that cupboards crap collectors but if someone is willing to build any infrastructure for us to use that is in their opinion what we need who am I to stop them.

@rut4ger Go for it. Remember their are termites in that area. So make it out of tasty wood

It’s great that you have an opinion, however the membership have already voted in this idea and discussing it further at this point is only derailing the thread. Each member having their own responsibility for their own mess (via tagged/engraved foodware) is a movement towards accountability I support, having come across and cleaned up people’s left up food multiple times.

Karl, I’m available all upcoming weekends, hit me up if you need some assistance with implementing any of this.

Perhaps instead of closed in cupboards in the kitchen how about open shelves so people can’t set and forget mess. Alternatively perspex doors.

I’m totally down with lazer cut (and engraved) clear doors. That shit will look cool, keep dust and toxic particles off the stuff and have people accountable for the mess somewhat, great Idea Nog!

So just to keep everyone updated, I found a red leather lounge last night, few holes but it’s pretty nice. I’ve got another grey lounge at my old house which Ill bring in. I found a bunch of usable solid timber and ply from pallets to make furniture, and have started collecting the parts for an awesome coffee table project using a gigantic gear and shaft from some kind of heavy machinery.

What I really need help with is finding some suitable flooring, I don’t really have any preference what it is. Nog suggested, not carpet, as carpet gets filthy, which I am inclined to agree with. It’s a highly trafficked area so maybe tiles or lino would be a better choice. Any suggestions?

Another update, I got just about all the timber I need for the timber wall last night, its all pulled apart and denailed now, Thankyou to everyone that lent a hand cracking up the pallets, very much appreciated. We have carpet for half the room, big thanks to Timeka for that one. And we have most of the paint we’re going to need for the other walls, Thanks Buzz for pointing out that paint.

2 Likes

@pikkaachu said he had some flooring possibly @rut4ger

Keen to see lots of pics! I’ve seen a few and its looking pretty decent so far :smile:

Can someone confirm that we’re going to retain 2 sinks? I take it the dividing wall and the closet are staying for the moment?

I don’t have a camera, Ill ask Blair to bring one in, maybe he can document this process a little better.

The sink is gone, it’s all gone, the room was completely empty, now it’s getting filled back up. I got to a point where, to completely remove and then replace it later was less work work than to keep working around it. It was also quite rotten and the entire underside was termite nest, not just termite eaten timber, but actual termite home. Then to top it all off it’s boring and white.

I finished one section of pallet timber wall, personally I think it looks awesome. No one I’ve talked to about it has said it looked shithouse so I’m taking that as a thumbs up. Sven suggested a small light box over the top which I think would look awesome.

There’s paint on most of the walls, there will be paint on all of the walls tomorrow and then the trim colours can go on.

Timeka got some red fabric to reupholster the small grey vinyl corner lounge thing.

I need to go get some pipe to make my tables.

Really all that needs deciding is what to cover the rest of the floor in to cover up that fake stoney stuff that’s there.

1 Like

Ok, latest is, The timber walls are finished, the walls are painted and we’re ready for carpet. Buzz, do you think you could bring in that smooth edge and what not you said you had?

We have enough carpet to do the area but it’s in 2 pieces one of which is grey, the other is more chocolate, Its only a slight mismatch but noticeable enough I think that It would look wierd if we just laid out the two next to one another. Timeka had the idea that we could inlay a timber cross through the center, that way we could have the two colours in opposite corners. I think it’d be pretty cool. But for that we’d need a few pieces of decent hardwood so it didn’t get instantly destroyed.

Anyone got any decent hardwood floating around?

2 Likes

A quick troll of gumtree comes up with these freebies:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane-region/building-materials/free-hardwood-pergola-buyer-to-remove/1051797103
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eastern-heights/miscellaneous-goods/free-hardwood-timber-palings-etc/1051715975
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bulimba/building-materials/free-timber-from-recent-reno-hardwood-weatherboard/1051609467

Another cheap option might be tiles from Reverse Garbage? You could do an 8bit hsbne logo motif.

Shits all done! Looks awesome, photos are on my facebook wall. We now have a nice looking place to fill with useless shit and let slowly slip into chaos. Hurrah!

2 Likes

For those not on Facebork.

Nice work @rut4ger !

2 Likes