Kitchen Bench Build

(ltp) #1

I am working on a Custom Kitchen bench for my place.
Pretty basic plans, the top will be about 1200 mm long and 800 mm wide and around 50 mm thick butchers block top (all endgrain).
One side will have an overhand for a breakfast bar and one end will have rounded corners.
Under this are two shelves (stainless steel)
I also have plans to integrate a bowl system to easily pickup food after cutting it up.
And a knife block for easy access.

Started by cleaning up and cutting some recycled timber I had (all from 1 piece of timber)
Google Photos

Four legs, six short and six long cross beams.

To join the legs and cross beams I am using a mitred cross joint (I think that is what it is called)
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

I cut the joints on the table saw using the crosscut sled and cleaned them up with a chisel
Google Photos

Base goes together like this
Google Photos

The aim is to pin these also with through dowels
so I main a dowel maker and then a bunch of dowels
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

I made a jig to drill all of the dowel holes
Google Photos
Google Photos
(still need to do the cross beams)

onto the Top
its going to be made out of a random assortment of scrap or recycled hardwood
Google Photos
which basically involved me cutting up lots of timber and gluing them all up.
Google Photos
then cutting them up more, then gluing them back together
(with a bunch of repair when a bunch of them didnt glue up as well0
Google Photos

current pile looks like this
Google Photos

I have more I am fixing and more to cut up still

2 Likes
(ltp) #2

Here is some more scrap I have glues up
Google Photos

I ran them over the planner and through the thicknesser to square them all up and clean off all the glue
Then I cut them into 55 mm lengths

Google Photos
Glue ups were better this time… but still come need to be fixed

Here is a rough idea off how it will look when it is all randomised.
Google Photos

I still only have about half of what i need (it is a big bench top)
so more timber to cut up and glue

1 Like
(ltp) #3

Making more pieces for the bench top

Google Photos

Using the new joinery blade I cut slots in the cross beams

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

base goes together like this
Google Photos

3 Likes
(ltp) #4

So had some delays and issues with some of my top glue ups…

so up to this point I made this much of the top… Is only about 2/3 of what i need
Google Photos

so Glued up some more timber
Google Photos

using the new pipe clamps

So i think I have enough now
Google Photos

So i started gluing up some of the blocks a while ago
here I did some more
Google Photos

1 Like
(ltp) #5

So making progress on the top.

I glued together most of the pieces into blocks then laid out the blocks in a rough plan.
Needed to add some more bits to some and make an extra block.

From there I used the planner to flatten one side and squared off all the sides on the table saw

Google Photos

then to get the other side flat, I trimmed one edge on the table saw before putting them through the thicknesser. This was to stop tear-out on the trailing edge. This worked pretty well as long as i didnt take it down all the way.
making progress
Google Photos

Then I started gluing up the blocks into the cross strips. I used dowels to keep them flat and add a bit more lateral strength.

Google Photos

Now I am dowelling up the cross strips

Google Photos

and thats as far as I got today.

1 Like
(ltp) #6

So I Put the top together.

Google Photos

Google Photos

After a bit of sanding I put a bit of metho on to see how it would look
Google Photos

Google Photos

1 Like
(ltp) #7

Next I started to work on the frame…
I put the dowels in the legs
Google Photos

Google Photos

This was actually a mistake as it was harder to put the legs together and I damaged the cross beams.
got some chipout which I had to glue up.
Google Photos

So i put the ends together first and glued them up
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Then I glued the ends using the main cross beams
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

(ltp) #8

SO then I trimmed down the top
Google Photos

had a bunch of issues getting it straight so I ended up with a smaller top than i planned…

1 Like
(ltp) #9

Then I added all the cross pieces
Google Photos

Google Photos

then i put the top on to see how it fit
Google Photos

Google Photos

so this is because the top is not as wide as planned
Google Photos

(ltp) #10

Then I rounded off the end corners
Google Photos

Google Photos

Then I glued on the back pieces
Google Photos

Then I rounded over a lot of the edges with a router

Google Photos

Google Photos

I rounded over a lot of the edges in the frame as well

Added some screw ins to the top to bolt the top to the base
Google Photos

Google Photos

(ltp) #11

so one of the features i wanted to build is a feature into the table… an easier way to put the food into a bowl.
so I cut a hole in the top…
Google Photos

Google Photos

I built a shelf that goes underneath
Google Photos

Google Photos

it goes like this,
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

so then… Sanding… sanding and more sanding…

finished the top… time to oil it up
Google Photos

Google Photos

Also I drilled some holes in the legs for the feet (I decided to do this to make it easier to level and make it flush against the current benches)

Google Photos

had to cut off the screw in’s as the feet wouldnt even screw into them
Google Photos

Google Photos

so I also have some stainless shelves and a plug for the hole in the top being made…

(ltp) #12

So basically I finished all the timber portion of the bench.
I used a wipe on poleurethane on the base and shelf.
Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

Google Photos

So in my apartment now.
Still need to make the shelves and a plug for the hole.

5 Likes