Exiting news was announced at the MakerFest today, we have a new grant pool open with our name on it! See news article and grants page.
In brief, $20K grants are available to starting hackerspaces and $10K to existing hackerspaces, with two rounds over two years from an available pool of $450K.
I need your feedback in the next two weeks explaining what equipment we should aim for with our application. It would be great if this could include where to purchase from and the costs.
As per the grant guidelines, examples of eligible proposals for funding of both the establishment grant and the expansion
- purchase of software, open hardware, alternative media, networking gear, audio
equipment for member use
- purchase of machinery and/or hand tools for member use
- development of workshops for knowledge sharing/capacity building
- delivery of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) programs or advanced manufacturing workshops for younger people
Proposals not eligible for funding for either an establishment grant or an expansion grant include:
- salaries for current or new staff or the costs associated with recruitment activities
- normal operating costs (e.g. utilities charges, telecommunications charges, rent or
- construction, fit-out or maintenance of buildings
- repair or maintenance of existing equipment
- design and printing of promotional materials and advertising
- raw materials
- on-the-job training and supervision
- insurance (e.g. public liability, building and contents, etc)
- research and development.