Nog3's M365 Electric Scooter Upgrade Log


(Brendan Halliday) #1

I recently purchased an M365 scooter to do the 13km trip in from home to work and from work to the space, and so far it’s working.

But there’s some things I’d like to do for improving the longevity of this machine and make my ride a little more comfortable and safe.

There’s a few things I’ve already done to improve it, including:

  • Adding Slime to the tubes to mostly handle punctures
  • Modifying the firmware to set a max speed of 25 km/h in eco mode, as well as tweaking the braking characteristiscs.
  • Adding foam inside the battery casing to protect it better from shocks.

Future improvements, in order of importance to me are as follows:

  • Adding a support for the back mudguard/fender
  • Adding reflective tape for more safety
  • Adding bike lights for safety
  • Adding an ignition key lock
  • Upgrading to 10 inch tyres.
  • Replacing the bottom battery cover with something more sturdy and countersinking the screws for this.
  • Widening the deck to accomodate my feet better, also adding grip tape.
  • Adding indicators, since it’s unsafe to take your hand off the handlebars on one of these scooters.

(Stuart Longland) #2

Regarding the lighting… I use a simple NE555 circuit on my bikes.

This can be used to drive a LED strip in a flashing mode to make a flashing tail light if desired. Not sure what voltage your system runs… I run a conventional 12V system and so can use motorcycle lights for indicators and brake lights. If it’s a higher voltage, then you could run two sets of lights in series or use a step-down DC-DC converter.


(Brendan Halliday) #3

Cheers for the advice! It’s a 36v pack under the hood, but I’ll likely be looking to use premade 12v flashers as they’re already environmentally sealed.


(Brendan Halliday) #4

So there’s been a bunch of upgrades I’ve done to this m365, I’ll run through them one by one. In the meantime, I’ve done over 700km on it with only one flat which was caused when I was swapping tyres around.

Adding Slime to the Tyres
One of the biggest complaints about the m365 is that it uses air tyres, which leads to grief when you get a flat tyre.

Most of the flats I’ve seen have been ‘snakebite’ or ‘pinch’ punctures from the tube slipping inside the tyre while it’s not inflated enough but there’s also a chance of direct punctures. At the time I was doing this some helpful person had been dumping tacks on the coronation drive bikeway (bicentennial) and I wanted to be able to better handle this situation.

Slime is one of several products that are largely similar, which are water soluble liquid latex and fibres that you inject into your tyres in the hope that when you get a puncture the air pressure of the leak will pack this slime into the hole long enough for you to get home where you can do a proper patch repair.

Most bottles of slime are targeted at cars/bicycles though, so the volume calculation will be way off for the 8.5" tyres of the m365. I did the maths and found I should be putting 30ml of slime into each tyre.

I recommend visiting your local chemist and getting a small syringe for this, as it’s by far the easiest way to reasonably accurately get this amount in, and the nozzles fit inside the schrader valve.

First up you will need deflate the tyre with your finger or a tool. Then use a valve core remover to remove the valve core, so there’s enough room to squeeze the slime inside. The slime bottle came with a plastic one that basically died after the first tyre so I recommend investing in a metal one, 99 bikes sell ones that look like this:
image

Then, with the valve at its highest point on the wheel and the rest of the wheel below it, squirt in the slime.

Throw the valve core back in, (you can clean up any spills with water), pump it back up and go for a few quick laps so the slime doesn’t settle in one spot on the tyre.


(Brendan Halliday) #5

Camera Mount

After seeing a bunch of silly shenanigans going on in front of me, I decided to grab a cheap action cam to go on the front.

I tried a few different mounts

Take 1:


This was super flimsy and had a tendancy to ride up and down the handle, ruining the indexing of the footage.

Take 2:
This was actually a remix of one I found on thingiverse, ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764476) but I didn’t want to have to print and extender and was worried the extender would cause the camera to flop around too much. So I modded it in tinkercad and printed it.

Unfortunately it had a fatal flaw though as you can see in the photo, it tilted up and the handlebars on an m365 have a backwards rake which meant that the camera only saw the road like 2m away.

So, after some fiddling and a 15* angled part later, I got this which gives much more acceptable footage.:

Part is online at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3640494