Thanks for the help thus far. I was wondering if I might ask for some guidance with regards to induction and usage of the CnC mills available to the space. My google-fu is weak, my ability to remember faces and names more so.
AFAIK there are4 machines
- @Sven2 's MDF cutter in craft punk
- Larger freestanding one in back-middle of metalworking shop
- “Gigantic” one freestanding near the lathes
- VMC 5 ton machine donated last year.
I’m not sure who to talk to to work out if I could/should use the machines to mill some aluminium brackets for a new printer. Based on (but to be simplified from) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271/#files
Specifically, I suppose I would need some of the following information.
- Material suitability and sourcing.
- I would like to make light aluminium brackets to go on 2020 frame to hole motors and rods on bearings
- Are there suggestions as to where to get cheap aluminium blanks? There are various pieces sitting around
- Machine choice
- Which of the machines are suitable for lower experienced members, for 3D aluminium milling?
- End-mill supply
- having chosen a machine, what size collet and what type of end-mill, and where to buy?
- G-code generation software to choose
- what settings, g-code particularities?
- what feedrates? (After mill and material and machine choice)
I have some experience with small <2kva mills and aluminium running headless with GRBL interpreters. I have used cambam g-code generator for 2.5d stuff, but no real 3D subtractive experience.
I would olso be interested in manually milling if people think that’s applicable.