I believe, (I’m sure I’ll be corrected if wrong) we dont have much centralised management of our various computers around the space. We dont have a standard way of:
- Deploying images
- Deploying updates
- Managing os and software licenses
- Taking backups and images
- Any kind of centralised authentication (like basic AD or LDAP)
- No kind of MDM solution for our mobile devices
While i think infrastructure manages some of this stuff manually, im sure they’d appreciate a slicker system but are just too busy to make it happen.
Theres a pile of software out there to do this stuff. I think anything thats free or very cheap is worthwhile.
- A way to deploy images to physical machines
- A way to keep physical machines up to date
- Some kind of centralised auth so we stop having local accounts people lose passwords to
- A way to backup machines
- A way to freeze machines so they boot exactly the same every time
- A way to manage installed software and licenses