Refurbishing the arcade machines Part 1

I’ve been working on getting the arcade cabinets back in working order. Firstly starting with the lo-boy cabinet. Originally it was intended to be a MAME cabinet, but for simplicity I’ve installed a 60-in-1 multigame board. This has most of the “classic” 80’s vertical arcade games.

The original monitor chassis had let out the magic smoke from the flyback transformer and so I decided to install a NOS arcade monitor that I happened to have spare:

It gave a nice sharp picture but had a purity issue that required a manual degauss (this is due to residual magnetism in the metallic mask behind the front of the CRT). Here it is before:

And after:

Out with the old artwork:

The faded side art was removed and the marquee art replaced to reflect the multi-game board:

The machine is now fully operational. It’s set to free play so no coin required.

The only thing remaining is for a laminated instruction card to be printed up, if anyone can help with that.

Instructions are as follows:

1. Power up machine and allow initialisation to complete (takes about a minute).
  2. Press the 1 player button to start game selection and select the desired game with the left joystick.
  3. Press the 1 or 2 player button to start a one or two player game. Game will automatically add credits and start play.
2 Likes