So, today Fionn @elfinvale and myself sat down and hashed out a ton of details about how to do the stocktake of the space, and I realised that this is a project that needs a build log!
Main outcomes of the meeting are:
- Count everything, no point debating whether an item should/shouldn’t be included, this reduces the decision-making load, will net us a complete picture, and help flag items for removal or action
- We’re going to use a system that has high functionality for tagging and filtering (Ao3), as this will allow for better cross referencing (e.g. tagging all the consumables for a particular machine)
- Ao3 will allow us to create barcodes, if that’s a function HSBNE would like to implement in the future
- Once the stocktake is complete, Ao3 allows for printing out complete lists, one for each cause area would make IRL locating easier and faster (e.g. laminated guides in supermarket aisles)
- While general areas we will be able to analyse ourselves, or train another volunteer to do (we have a set list of general tags), we will need to work with cause leaders or a nominated member to create tags for specific items in each cause
- Make as much use of the existing wiki as possible for item descriptions and details.
I have created an initial flowchart for the stocktaking process, and will write up an adding/deleting entry flowchart once I know how to do those things. The initial flowchart can be found here.
One thing that would be good to get advice/input on is on managing photos. Ao3 supports adding static images, my idea is to use a setup similar to the one used for the Doomshelves, my other thought is to create a separate Google Photos account to upload to.
We are also going to ask that a separate discord chat be made under infrastructure, to post questions on items and hopefully get a quick response.