So… I started constructing my own at home… and first I started down the path of filing out the strips I had nailed to the back of the panels so they would make a friction fit with the pipe. This was a slow process doing it at the space with a file, and so I thought maybe my rotary tool would do it faster.
Sort of. Too easy to go too far, resulting in a sloppy fit. Ohh, and still time consuming. I put it aside for a bit and cleared out the trailer so I could go do some shopping.
Then it hit me: hot glue could be sufficient to ensure the friction needed. I got the glue gun out at home and warmed it up… a test with one of the pipes and dribbling some hot glue between the PVC and plywood produced some pretty satisfactory results.
I’ve had to put it aside for now as I’ve run out of glue sticks, but this seems to be a pretty reliable method. I might do the same with the one I built for the space. To start, you glue in the four corner tubes, then stand the whole assembly up on one end (tubes vertical). Then, you drop each tube into place then glue it top and bottom, trying to inject as much glue into the gaps as you can. Start with the inner tubes, you should be able to get 3 done all the way around with the glue gun, then gradually add the others. Some you’ll only be able to do ¾ around, some only half… but the more the better.