Say hi and introduce your self!

Interests:
Looking to learn:
Studying/Working:
Qualifications:

<- Here is a picture

Hey all

My name is Jason/Jace

Interests: Environmental improvement, Metal work, micro-controllers, electronics, cars, bikes, most things, etc
Looking to learn: 3d printing, cnc routing, organic building and computing, most things etc
Studying/Working: BMS tech
Qualifications: BA Mechanical Engineering

3 Likes

Hey folks,

My name is Brendan, but most of you know me as nog, nog3 or even ā€˜wear your glassesā€™

Interests: Hardware hacking, activism, community building, costume building, anything I can get my hands on or work with.
Looking to learn: Anything and everything, I like to have a broad knowledge and skillset.
Studying/Working: I work at The Edge, as a Digital Fabrication Catalyst.
Qualifications: Dip IT (Networking/Security).
Thing(s) Iā€™m responsible for or know about at HSBNE: Access System, Comms (IRC, Trello, Forums, Slack, Blog, Website), Vending Machines, Network, Cameras.

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Andrew,

Interests: Metalworking and CNC Machines (if it runs G code, I speak its language), woodworking, 3D printing, electronics, Instruments both acoustic and electronic, audio, computing, cooking.

Looking to learn: 3D printing, electronics both analogue and digital, and pretty much everything else, I love learning, like, a lot.

Working: Piano Teacher, Bartender, wanna be entrepreneur.

Qualifications: not even a year 10 certificate, Iā€™m that bad ass. (Homeschooled, not drop out BTW). Edit: just saw @sjpiper145ā€™s post and it prompted my memory, I have an RSA, an expired first aid certificate, and 1/4 of a Diploma of Justice Administration (Thought about becoming a police officer once, but Iā€™m too nice :wink:)

3 Likes

Hi!
Interests: 3D Printing, 3D Scanning, metal detecting, watercolours, non-fiction reading, science.
Looking to learn: Electronics and anything else (I also love learning)
Studying/Working: PhD at QUT, Tissue Engineering
Qualifications: Bachelor of Health (Hons), Boat licence, Commercial Marine Radio Licence, SCUBA, RSA, RSG, CPR, Senior First Aid, Mental First Aid.

2 Likes

Mah name is Dave

Interests: Cosplay, Prop Fabrication, Programming, FPV Drones, Interface and Web Design, UX/HCI
Looking to learn: CNC Machining, Thermoplastics, Electronics, pretty much anything.
Studying/Working: Work - Developer/SAP Analyst
Qualifications: Bachelor of IT

2 Likes

Hi, my name is Kelly(Iā€™m a guy just so thereā€™s no confusion) and after going to the open night last Tuesday Iā€™m looking forward to spending more time at HSBNE. Unfortunately I am outta here in a week to look after my Mum for a while so you probably wonā€™t see me until I get back from Townsville. On the upside my main partner in crime is still living there so ideas for projects will ensue.

Interests: Tabletop wargames, reading, music, pc games, movies, building stuff, pulling stuff apart and general mad scince.
Looking to learn: 3D printing, laser cutting, costume making and I want to refresh all my old machining/welding skills.
Studying/Working: Iā€™m currently unemployed except for occasional shifts at Dominos.
Qualifications: Diploma of Graphic Design(2014), Years of experience in workshops, warehouses, telecommunications, security and sales.

3 Likes

Hi,

My name is Niklas or Nick, originally from Sweden but lived here in oz for 11 years. 4 years in Brisbane now.

Interests: Wood and metal working, CNC (Iā€™ve got a small 1500W CNC), 3D printing (have a hyrel3d, laser etching and cutting, robotics, rasperry pi, linux arduino,ā€¦
looking to learn: Workshop machinery, welding, fabrication, laser cutting, 3d design / cadā€¦
working: Run my own little software engineering business with clients around the world.
qualifications: Masters in Physics and Engineering, paragliding pilot

5 Likes

@niklas
Paragliding? Are you going out much? I got a license and a glider. Would love me a flying buddy!

2 Likes

Hi @svenska,
No, Iā€™ve not been flying regularly since I moved up to Brisbane four years ago. I still have all the gear including a tandem and a license for it. But, I would need to gentle my way back into it. Not sure if Iā€™ll ever get back to fully flying like I did 5+ years ago.
By the way, your handle is confusing to me: In Swedish it means ā€œSwedishā€ :smile:

1 Like

OMGHI2U!!!

My actual name is Colin, but I have been known to go by the moniker of Firedrake (drake for short) in online games for near 15 years nowā€¦

Iā€™m in my early 30ā€™s, like long walks on the beach, spooning, am a Gemini, waitā€¦ wrong forumā€¦

Interests: Pretty much summed up as Making Things! Sewing, Wood, Metal, Plastic, itā€™s all fun!

Looking to learn: 3D printing looks pretty cool, despite a serious lack of practical use for a printer at this stage. Welding is fun, Iā€™m just seriously out of practice. Proper cabinetmaking.woodworking would be nice too.

Studying/Working: Iā€™m a Heavy industrial Electrician by trade (big, heavy, greasy stuff that will kill you without a second thought), currently working as a T/A for a mobile equipment mechanic at the moment. Have hammer, will ā€œadjustā€ things.

Qualifications: Trade certificate in Electrical Engineering, First-Aid, CPR, LVR, Wilderness First Aid. Lots of other ā€œinformal trainingā€ covering subjects from Emergency Scene Management, to Classroom Instruction, to How To Mess With Your Apprentice, to How To Set A Bad Example, to Programming PLC units, and the most critical How To Not Electrocute Other People!

4 Likes

HI All,

Iā€™m Michael, from Brisbane but have been told I sound like a South African, not sure how that happened as Iā€™ve never been there.

Interests: lasers & robotics, open source software/hardware, right to repair, online voting/democracy/education, encryption, RTS games,
Looking to learn: git/source control, micro controller programming, encryption,
Studying/Working: PhD on laser interaction with metals, working at a laser welding & additive manufacturing company.
qualifications: BSc (Physics, hons)

5 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Hamish. Iā€™ve got 3 young kids - so I tend to turn up later in the evenings after they are asleep.

Interests: Making things
Looking to learn: Welding, engines and other Scrapheap Challenge type skills. Also keen to explore the world of computer controlled machines (3d printers, laser cutters, cnc routers, etc)
Studying/Working: Computer Programmer.
Qualifications: BSc (Computer Science)

1 Like

Hi yall

My name is Will and I have just recently been introduced to HSBNE. I have to say, this place seems like candy land.

I look forward to meeting some of you this coming Tuesday.

Interests:
computer programming, design, 3d printing, electronics and well, all things creatively interesting.

Looking to learn:
woodwork, welding, 3d printing, black smithing. Anything and everything, depending on the day.

Studying/Working:
Bachelor of Psychology Science.

Qualifications:
Cert I & II in technology
Cert I in construction
Dear god do I feel under qualified.

3 Likes

Hi All

My name is Jim

Interests: Mechanical Design, 3D modelling, ACAD, FPV Racing, inventing the ā€œusefulā€, inventing the ā€œnot so useful but funā€
Looking to learn: 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC, FPV Racing
Studying/Working: 2D and 3D draftsman at ā€œHeat and Controlā€, we make the cooking equipment and processes for the global food industry.
Qualifications: Associates degree in Mechanical Design

4 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Ollie, Iā€™m your resident bike nerd.

Interests: bikes, bike polo, coffee, drankin beer, making things. Iā€™m co-owner in two small companies: one selling bike frames, the other bike polo equipment.
Looking to learn: metal work, welding, G code and anything else. I like collecting new skills.
Studying/Working: Iā€™m just about to graduate from a Bachelor of Journalism. I work as a barista and have done so for about ten years.
Qualifications: If you need anything coffee, bikes or communications related Iā€™m your guy.

5 Likes

@ollie Iā€™m planning on building a bamboo bycicle frame. Hit me up if youā€™re keen!

3 Likes

Hi there.

Iā€™m David, and I like stuff.

Interests: cosplay, 3d printing, woodworking, metalworking, electrical working, cooking, and basically everything other than astrology.

Looking to learn: LEARN ALL THE THINGS!

Studying: Honours in Biomedical Science at UQ. I study steak monster genetics.

Qualifications: cert III in cynicism from the school of hard knocks.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m Sam.

Interests: I like learning about systems and bodies of knowledge that keep society working. Sewerage systems through to power generation, how the infrastructure underlying the internet works, whatever.

Looking to learn: Metalwork, I have a welding project going (making a welding table, welding corner jig etc). I need someone to teach me to use the bandsaw safely :smile:

Studying/Working: Took a redundancy from my career of eleven years a few months back, Iā€™ve applied for the B. Engineering program at QUT for 2016. Iā€™m doing a maths bridging course four days a week to prepare.

Qualifications: Master Mariner (I worked aboard merchant ships, tankers, bulk carriers etc). So, navigation, cargo management, ship maintenanceā€¦

7 Likes