A terrible quick render of what a single box may look like
As part of the tools cause, I’m looking to build modular, chainable, lockable boxes. The goal is to have a touchscreen interface where a member can swipe in, unlock a box and take temporary ownership / responsibility for a tool (or toolbox, or anything restricted).
Current design is for a 2 part pcb (IGOR):
- Back of box, the bus passthrough. essentially 4 RJ11 ports in parallel for the RS485 comms.
- Internal near lock, door controller. Attiny85 board to listen to bus, microswitch, led, solenoid.
(Digikey part numbers and prices)
- RJE0166001-ND $0.69 * 4
- FDD7N25LZTMCT-ND $1.22
- ATTINY84A-SSU-ND $1.63
- 497-4285-1-ND $0.51
- 1016-1171-5-ND $1.14
- SMAJ12CABCT-ND $0.44
- RGB LED - Unspecced $??
- Microswitch - Unspecced $??
** Sub-Total ** $7.07
** Sub-Total** $9.57
- Best deal on solenoids in bulk seems to be from Aliexpress. Shipping is the killer, single units are free via snail, but multiple units add cost quickly.
** Sub-Total ** $20.93
$20 for the locking mechanism is double our goal, but still within reasonable limits.
Suggestions for unspecced part numbers, cheaper parts etc are welcome.
Box design is open for interpretation, so long as the external dimensions are divisible by 15cm, and the door locks with a solenoid.
Main controller / Interface
- Cheap PendoPad Android tablet
- LAMP/LEMP or similar stack for UI
- Arduino + RFID as master RS485 controller
Talk to Me
Talk to Luke